Friday, February 25, 2011

It's Her Birthday

Today is yet another rainy and cold day in Los Angeles and besides it being a day like so many others that I've long since stopped hoping will end, it is also my mom's birthday. Last year, to get her excited about our trip to Paris, I sent her some Euros. The colorful currency was a fun way to get her excited about Europe and this year, I sent her a book called Florence: The Golden Age 1138-1737.

My mother (on the right)  well before she turned 76 and striking a very modelesque arm pose. It's my brother looking back at me in a one piece.





"This is a big book," she said. "It's going to take me a long time to read it."

"Well, by the time you finish, it'll be time to go," I said. "Did you get any other presents?"

"Your father gave me $10 and a bunch of losing scratch tickets. And a card that said he's always loved me. I think I'll keep that one."

Although I used to send cards for years, I think they're a bad value. Hallmark can charge upwards of $3 for something you can just write in a letter yourself, but that being said, I feel the same as my dad. And in four months (I don't count July since that's the month we're leaving), it'll be one giant Hallmark card to my mother from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment