Monday, July 11, 2011

Firenze, How We've Missed You

The Eurostar was, as usual, right on schedule. I love this country, tardiness is not tolerated and because of that, I think I am eternally in love with it. It wasn't much cooler in Florence when we arrived and I had to buy some water as soon as we hit the pavement. It's Monday afternoon and the city is alive with activity. It's been a week since we've arrived in Italy and I can honestly say that the trip has not flown by quickly. We've savored every hour and every minute and still have one more day left.


Even my mother knows her way to Dei Mori now, which has me a little worried. She is always geographically challenged, but, I think, in reality she just knows the way to the cannolli shop.

Arriving back at Dei Mori, the large family we encountered the other day seem to have checked out and a different set have taken their place. I didn't stop to exchange pleasantries, since all I could think of was a refreshing shower that would not cause bodily harm. Then, first thing first - we needed some nourishment.

Right on the corner is Pizzeria Toto. We've passed it several times over the course of the week and I wish we had gone inside sooner. The slices are affordable - 3.50e compared to over 5e in Venice. I could not resist the spicy salami (never order pepperoni here, for that means actual peppers) while my mom had just cheese. It was almost a slap in the Venetian face as we savored the oily goodness.


 
"Now, that's a piece of pizza," my mother said wiping the oil from her face and walking to our favorite pastry shop. She was in luck as there was one cannolli left in the case. In addition to that, I ordered an iced espresso



With something to tide us over until dinner, we decided to wander around the shopping areas that we've missed so far. As luck would have it, we wandered past a huge line on the street that wound its way to a doorway with the name Grom over the top. It seems we have stumbed into the best gelato in all of the city and who knew that it would be so close to The Duomo. Now, this, my dear Venetians, (okay, I will stop now), is how gelato should taste. Soft, creamy and melting almost instantly the second we got outside - the pistachio was rich with nuts and the stratciatello full of thick chocolate chunks. Before there was even a hint of a gelato puddle in my cup, it was devoured.

Tonight, we'll wander yet again to find dinner, but I'm thinking we may go back to La Posta, which remains our favorite restaurant.



No comments:

Post a Comment