Saturday, July 2, 2011

That's Amore

What better way to say arrivederci to Boston than with what, is no doubt, one of the most amazing visits I have had in years. Dawn and her family are staying on Cape Ann and drove to my parents house to see me tonight and wish my mom and me bon voyage. I have never been so happy to see someone in my life. Although our lives have shifted and changed, I knew exactly what would happen when we saw each other again - and not just the tears I had to wipe from my eyes. My goddaughter is a gorgeous young woman now and as we all sat old school Italian style on the front steps with our glasses of wine, the years we've been apart disappeared.


Back then, I never said, "I love you," to anyone. Never out loud, never on the phone and I have always despised the "me too" response. As we grew closer in our jobs and friendship, Dawn would be relentless from her desk behind me.

"I love you, Jim Tella," she would say.

Tonight, as I hugged her so tightly, I've realized how much I've missed her.

She laughed her infectious laugh and wished my mom and me a great trip. She drove 40 miles with her family to see me. That means so much right there and I can think of no better way to spend the evening before our flight. That is, pure and simple, amore.


No comments:

Post a Comment