Sunday, July 3, 2011

It Has Begun

The day has arrived. My mom and I are at the airport - but if you thought there would have been no fun beforehand, you'd be mistaken.

My parents are captivated by the murder trial of Casey Anthony.

"Don't be crying those tears, girl," I heard my mother say from the kitchen. "No more of your lies. You're going to get it." Then she asked me, "I won't know the verdict."

"Ah, I have a computer?"

And then we packed up the rest of our stuff and headed to the car, but not before I took one last look at what she was bringing.

"What -what is this?" I asked incredulously as I saw her wallet stuffed full of U.S. Dollars, pictures, Stop & Shop card and the like.

And just like that, as if she were a five year old who was caught with the remants of cotton candy all over her lips and denying she ate anything all day, my mother relinquished her attempt at smuggling something unapproved.

"I didn't think you'd catch me," she said quietly.

I took out the wads of currency, wondering where she thought she was going to spend all the money between here and Frankfurt. I did, however, allow her to keep the picture of her maternal grandmother. I recently found out that she carries it everywhere she goes, as it is the only link to a family she doesn't know.

She kissed my father good-bye and I heard a soft mumble of I love you, too from him before we took off for one last relative visit to my cousin Sandra's. Some coffee and conversation later, we were headed to Logan Airport, where once again, babies are in love with me. On the shuttle bus to the terminal, two little girls sat opposite us and waved continually at me.

Now, we're in the international terminal where it is so much more civilized than flying domestic. Security was a breeze, no full body scans in sight. Unfortunatly, the Lufthansa lounge is closed and the share with Air France will only allow first class passengers in it. I can't even bribe my way in. But we are sitting in a quiet (sans babies) food area where Rosemarie is wandering around with her U.S. currency.

It is 3,671 miles to Frankfurt.  I'm determined to have her sleep for at least 3,000 of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment