Monday, June 20, 2011

Harry Potter and the Magical Memories

I moved back to Boston briefly for two and a half years in the year 2000. It was an interesting time in my life - and in early 2003, I realized that Boston was not what had changed. That distinction was all mine. It proved you can go home again, but just don't expect home to be what you remember. Of course, one of the major reasons for coming back to California was the brutal New England winter. In all my years growing up, not once did I slip on the ice, but one night, when I lost my traction and flew up in the air, I remember thinking..what the #)$#)(* was I thinking in coming back? But before I broke my mom's heart once again - Rosemarie and I made some great memories and one of them was seeing the first Harry Potter film together.

I'll never forget that experience. My mother had broken her hand a few weeks earlier (no, I did not do it)  and there we were, sitting on the floor of the movie complex, her arm in a sling, me not drinking anything so I wouldn't have to get up and use the bathroom during the film - camped out for hours to get a good seat for the screen adaptation of a book we both loved. (Ah, the joys of living in Los Angeles where assigned seating takes away that little bonding experience.) Now, eleven years later, we've come full circle - the final Harry Potter opens when our trip to Italy is over and we'll watch it together at the very same movie theater.

This is my last full week at work and I'm hoping it goes by quickly. The last thing on my mind at the end of the week will be the ratings performance of any of our shows. It's just going to be me, Rosemarie, Italy, pasta, wine and the magic of Harry Potter.

No comments:

Post a Comment